rctalbot's  album on Photobucket

May 2, 2013

The Weber Never Gets Old

Joe and I met up this morning to see what damage we could do on the Weber. My alarm didn't go off, so I was a little late to the party. I arrived around 8 a.m. to find that Joe had already landed three Browns! Even though the sun was out, the morning hours were a chilly 36 degrees. The river was surprisingly low for this time of year. That, along with a cloudless day, made us concentrate more on shady areas and cover.
Joe was throwing different crank baits, while I started out using a variety of different jigs. I soon realized that cranks were the way to go today. These fish were not just going after them, they would explode on them! There were several times that we almost had the pole ripped from our grasp from the force of the strike. The fight usually didn't last long though, and all the fish were released to grow and be caught another day. The fishing wasn't fast, but it was good enough to keep us engaged the whole day. We each had our share of Brown trout with Joe landing a few cutthroat as well.  We finished around 4 p.m. satisfied with another great day on the river.
 
 Crank baits were the way to go today.

Up close and personal with a beautiful Bonneville Cutthroat.

Others were also out enjoying the sunny day. A plane towing a glider.

A chunky Brown taken on a crank.

What a beauty!

My best and last fish of the day. Got him on a jig.

A sweet release... I love this river!

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I'm definitely going to have to check that place out in July.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the last photo the best. Does that long lure dive, float or swim?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Rick. Great to see you getting into some really nice fish. Exciting when they are on the "Smash"!

    ReplyDelete