October 11, 2012

More Yuba Action With A Personal Best

The pike at Yuba Reservoir were calling my name, so I got up early and made the drive down to see them. I arrived at Yuba around 7 a.m. and the sun came up just as I launched. I've been lucky as of late getting to see some spectacular sunrises, and today was no exception. I started out at the Painted Rocks area of the reservoir, and the wind was pretty bad. I fished for about an hour, catching a 20 inch pike in the process. The wind got to the point where it was blowing me off the water so I headed back in, packed everything up and headed to the other side of the lake to fish around the dam.
Once I made it over the the other ramp and started unloading my pontoon, I heard a whistling sound coming from my truck. DANG IT! I knew that sound meant one thing; that I was going to have a flat tire. I went and checked, and sure enough, I had a nice gash in the sidewall of one of the tires. I spent the next half hour putting on the spare, knowing this was going to cut my fishing day short. I wanted to have time to get my tire fixed so I could hit the river tomorrow.
I set out fishing the new area, and there was no wind to speak of which made it nice. I focused on the banks, casting Rapalas of different sizes and color patterns. On the such cast I had a big hit the second the lure hit the water. The pike didn't put up much of a fight until I got him close. Once he saw me, he made a hard run, peeling out line for a few seconds. I tightened my drag a touch and netted him on the second pass. Before even measuring him, I knew this fish was going to be a new personal best for me. Sure enough, at 28 inches, this pike beat my old record. I got a quick picture, and sent him on his way. I'm a newbie when it comes to pike fishing, and I know there are giants in this lake. More studying mixed with a lot more time on the water, and I'm sure I'll be able to get my goal of one over 40 inches (Utah State Record is 49 3/4 inches).
I left early to make it to a tire shop. On the way I saw a group of seven motorcycle cops riding together. It was an interesting sight to say the least. I made it to a tire shop and unfortunately, my tire couldn't be fixed so I had to get a new one. On the plus side, I have a date with the Weber River tomorrow. Big browns here I come!
Another great sunrise!

28 inch pike; A new personal best for this species.

A few cows came to water.

A motorcycle gang of cops? SAY WHAT???

No comments:

Post a Comment