rctalbot's  album on Photobucket

December 23, 2011

Schooled By An 8 Year Old

I met back up with rob to see if we could replicate the fast fishing of a week ago. This trip Rob brought his son Matt and I brought a friend that had never been ice fishing before. We arrived at the lake at dark o'clock got set up and as always, Matt had fish on the ice before I could even sit down in my chair! We got a quick picture and then he had a rainbow on the ice before I had my camera put away. Not to long after that my friend Ryan landed his first rainbow through the ice and I later found out that was also his first catch ever which was fun to see. The fishing slowed to a creep after that with fish here and there. It was nothing like the fast action we had last week.
A high note for me on the trip was catching a new personal best for green sunfish that went 8". As I was feeling good about my sunfish, Matt walks over to me with a 15" rainbow he had just landed and says "8 inches huh?" as he looks down at his fish with a smirk. He then walks away with me realizing I just got put in my place by a trash talking 8 year old! I laughed because there wasn't much I could say. He caught more fish than any of us! We also caught some bluegill and a few small perch for a 4 species day on the ice. Although the fishing wasn't as fast as we had hoped, it was a fun getting out on the ice again.
Matt's first fish of many.
Ryan's first ever catch.
Matt and Rob with some keeper bows.
Ryan's first bluegill.
Great shot Ryan took.
My new personal best; 8 inch sunfish
Decent sized bluegill going 9 inches.

1 comment:

  1. You guys look like you are having to much fun. Nice job on some decent sized Sunfish and Bluegill. Good to see the young kids getting into some fun fishing, too!

    ReplyDelete