rctalbot's  album on Photobucket

October 4, 2009

Duck Hunt Opener, UT October 2009

This is the hunt I wait all year for, especially opening day. My brother got up at 2:45 am and he and a friend went out to save our spot. My brother is by far the most avid duck hunter I know and he has no problem getting up and out in the Bay. I on the other hand wanted a few more hours of sleep so a couple other friends going out with us picked me and another buddy up at 5 am to go out. We arrived at our hunting spot and the few guys that went out earlier already had some decoys set up and ready to go. We all found a spot in the reeds and then it was a waiting game for shooting time at 8 am. As we waited for 8 am to arrive, we could only stand there watching all the ducks flying around. It was quite a sight to behold. I bet we saw between 2-4 thousand birds while in the hour or so we waited which only made the time go by slower. At about 10 minutes to 8, we heard a shot ring out in the cold autum air and well, that was all it took. soon the bay irrupted with gunfire. It sounded like popcorn on steroids! You would have to experience it first hand to truely take in what it's like. That only intensifed our group to want to start shooting as well but my brother was sure to make us wait until 8 to start shooting. The second my watch said 8 o'clock, it was on. We all started downing birds immediately. It was I think the fasted I have ever limited out. The bag limit in Utah is 7 birds and 3 of the 6 of us in our group limited out in under twenty minutes! The others soon followed. There was a group next to us that took some of our birds we downed with them when they gathered theres so we ended up with 35 birds total. We ended up shooting mostly Green Wing Teal with a few Cinnamon Teal and Gadwall mixed in. It was indeed an incredible hunt and one that I will certainly remember.


View I had while filling up the truck on my way to hunt.

Sunrise through the reeds.
A few of the guys with the hunts spoils.



All in a days hunt.

21 of the 35 ducks we bagged.



Just waiting for shooting time.



Early Shooters (cell phone video)

No comments:

Post a Comment